Von Ormy, Texas
Population: 1,000 [source: CensusViewer]
Of the 1,000 people residing in Von Ormy, Texas, just outside San Antonio, an abnormally large percentage should be in the movies.
Or so the town believes, and it's running with it. The mayor and a local film student teamed up in 2012 to found the Von Ormy Film Commission. The commission has two main goals: to promote the local directorial, screenwriting and acting talent; and to get themselves on Hollywood's "small-town backdrop" radar [source: Bailey]. Von Ormy wants to be the "location" in "shot on location."
To entice film lovers to the community, Von Ormy held its very first film festival in 2013 -- a rather timely zombie-focused one that includes both locally produced zombie flicks and classics like "Night of the Living Dead."
The San Antonio Zombie Response team was in attendance, just in case [source: Bailey].
Author's Note: 10 Tiny Towns with Big Tourism Dreams
Don't mistake this article as depicting something revolutionary. Small-town tourism is old news. In Europe, for instance, off-the-beaten path locales draw big crowds looking for something other than Big Ben and the Louvre. Pretty much everywhere in Europe has a long history, and that's the draw.
What I learned while looking for information on burgeoning small-town tourism around the globe, and especially in the United States, is that Europe has known for some time what other countries are just finding out: Not every tourist has a Mickey Mouse-loving 5-year-old. Local art, storied histories and "rural living" are becoming attractions in their own right. This list is only a taste of what has become a concerted marketing effort to draw people to places they've never heard of, and I focused on towns only beginning their journey into tourism promotion.
For a fascinating case study on marketing and revitalization, take a look at Braddock, Penn. It's the Levi's town you've probably seen in ads, and what they've done there is, from what I gather, rather ground-breaking. Tourism isn't the focus, but it's an amazing example of what rebranding (and a corporate sponsor) can do for a small, struggling town.
- West Virginia Gazette. "Creek project to reduce flooding in Matoaka." Feb. 12, 2013. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://wvgazette.com/News/201302120048
- Atmodjo, Wasti. "Cruise tourism shows great potential." The Jakarta Post. Feb. 7, 2013. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/02/07/cruise-tourism-shows-great-potential.html
- Bailey, Scott W. "Von Ormy Film Commission to wake the dead." San Antonio Business Journal. Feb. 13, 2013. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2013/02/von-ormy-film-commission-to-wake-the.html
- Blancett, Molly. "Oregon tourism: 'We see Oakridge as a great success story'." KVAL. April 12, 2011. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.kval.com/news/local/119637574.html
- City Data. (Feb. 15, 2013) http://www.city-data.com/
- City of Stevenson. "Wi-Fi Project." (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.cityofstevenson.com/wifi.html
- Explore the Shores. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://exploretheshores.org/
- Hamal, Chandi. "Food fest kicks off in Sauraha." Nepal Republic Media. Feb. 13, 2013. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=49928
- The Himalayan Times. "Valentine's Day being marked with exuberance." Feb. 14, 2013. (Feb. 22, 2013) http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Valentine%27s+Day+being+marked+with+exuberance&NewsID=365884
- The Jakarta Post. "Sail Komodo set to attract tourists to E.Nusa Tenggara." Feb. 5, 2013. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/02/05/sail-komodo-set-attract-tourists-enusa-tenggara.html
- Jordan, Greg. "Officials hope Matoaka creek dredging will prevent flooding, attract tourism." Bluefield Daily Telegraph. Feb. 12, 2013. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://bdtonline.com/local/x1303547064/Officials-hope-Matoaka-creek-dredging-will-prevent-flooding-attract-tourism
- Kestler-D'Amours, Jillian. "Golan Heights Braces for More Fighting." InterPressService (IPS). Feb. 7, 2013. (Feb. 15, 2013) http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/02/golan-heights-braces-for-more-fighting/
- Letson, Al. "Former Oregon Lumber Town Tries To Reinvent Itself." NPR. April 14, 2010. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129186583
- Marlowe, Dick. "Orlando Life Before Disney Starred Citrus, Swimming Holes." The Orlando Sentinel. July 28, 2995. (Feb. 13, 3013) http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-07-28/business/9507270796_1_walt-disney-downtown-orlando-citrus
- Metcalfe, John. "There Will Be No Public Hangings in This North Dakota Town." The Atlantic Cities. March 26, 2012. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/03/there-will-be-no-public-hangings-north-dakota-town/1596/
- Merom Golan Tourism. (Feb. 15, 2013) http://www.meromgolantourism.co.il/?Lang=eng
- Motlagh, Jason. "In Indonesia, the People Who Live With Dragons." Time. May 8, 2010. (Feb. 17, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1989139,00.html
- Odell, Erika. "Red Bay looks to pump up tourism for motor home visitors." Feb. 13, 2013. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.waaytv.com/news/local/red-bay-looks-to-pump-up-tourism-for-motor-home/article_446cf248-7628-11e2-b36f-0019bb30f31a.html
- Payette, Peter. "Coastal towns hope Great Lakes history is a beacon for tourists." WBEZ. July 8, 2011. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://www.wbez.org/frontandcenter/2011-07-08/coastal-towns-hope-great-lakes-history-beacon-tourists-88856
- Hatfield-McCoy Trails (HMT). "Pocahontas Trail System." (Feb. 18, 2013) http://www.trailsheaven.com/trailsystems/detail/Pocahontas,11.aspx
- Rapid City Journal. "Registration now open for Medora to Deadwood Trail Ride." Feb. 11, 2013. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/communities/lead-deadwood/registration-now-open-for-medora-to-deadwood-trail-ride/article_2b225d14-7213-11e2-a3d3-0019bb2963f4.html
- Smith, Oliver. "US town plans mock execution to attract tourists." Telegraph UK. March 26, 2012. (Feb. 14, 2013) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9166902/US-town-plans-mock-execution-to-attract-tourists.html
- Southern Rural Development Center. "Wireless Broadband, Stevenson, WA." (Feb. 13, 2013) http://srdc.msstate.edu/ecommerce/curricula/connecting_communities/case_study09.htm
- Tiffin Motor Homes. (Feb. 22, 2013) http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/
- Travel Oregon. "Travel Oregon Announces Recipients of 2010 Tourism and Hospitality Industry Achievement Awards." April 12, 2011. (Feb. 21, 2013) http://traveloregon.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=28531&item=83489
- Vegas.com. "Las Vegas History: 10 Historic Buildings Las Vegas Hasn't Imploded." (Feb. 13, 2013) http://www.vegas.com/lounge/centennial/historicbuildings.html
Las Vegas alternatives abound for the adventurous traveler. Learn about 10 Las Vegas alternatives that combine gambling with some local flavor.