Crocodile Dundee had a preternatural ability to lull crocs to sleep by making a strange inverted "surf's up!" hand gesture and weird noises. You are not Crocodile Dundee. If you come across a croc on a golf course or in your backyard, you are likely to run. That's a bad idea. It's only likely to aggravate the beast. Not to mention, a crocodile can run as fast as a human [source: Hickman].
The best course of action is to back away slowly and try not to attract any attention, which -- as you can tell by now -- is the "go-to" strategy for dealing with dangerous animals. If that doesn't work, go for the eyes. In 2011, an Australian miner named Eddie Sigai successfully fought off an attacking crocodile after being dragged underwater by one of the razor-toothed beasts. How'd Eddie pull it off? By making like a professional wrestler and gouging the croc in the eyes. Experts say it's one of few viable options, crocodiles jaws are too strong to unclench -- especially if you're trying to do it with one arm -- and its skin is thick enough to fend off ward off punching and stabbing [sources: Hickman, BBC].
Author's Note: 10 Threats You Should Never Try to Outrun
Here's one thing you can outrun: death by old age. A 2012 study out of Norway concluded that moderate runners can increase their life expectancy by more than five years. The common thinking that high-impact exercise like jogging does more harm than good to older folks simply isn't true, if you ask another set of researchers who assessed the correlation between exercise and osteoarthritis in 2013. They found that people who engaged in running were less likely to need hip and knee replacements. Looks like grannie needs a new pair of running shoes.
- American Civil Liberties Union. "Know Your Rights: What to do if You're Stopped by Police, Immigration Agents or the FBI." June 2010. (July 13, 2014) https://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform-immigrants-rights-racial-justice/know-your-rights-what-do-if-you
- American Animal Hospital Association. "Dog Biting." (July 28, 2014). http://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/pet_health_library/dog_care/behavior/biting.aspx
- ASPCA. "The Truth About Pit Bulls." (July 13, 2014) http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls
- BBC. "Who, what, why: How do you fight off a crocodile?" Feb. 14, 2011. (July 13, 2014) http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-12448009
- Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency. "During An Earthquake." (July 13, 2014) http://www.weready.org/earthquake/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=22
- California Department of Conservation. "Be Prepared: Before, During and After An Earthquake." (July 13, 2014) http://www.consrv.ca.gov/index/earthquakes/Pages/qh_earthquakes_what.aspx
- FBI. "Video: Run. Hide. Fight. Surviving an Active Shooter Event." (July 13, 2014) http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cirg/active-shooter-and-mass-casualty-incidents/run-hide-fight-video
- Hickman, Leo. "How to fight off a crocodile." The Guardian. Feb. 14, 2011. (July 13, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/feb/14/surviving-crocodile-attack
- Murray, Rheana. "How to Survive a Bear Attack." ABC News. April 14, 2014. (July 17, 2014) http://abcnews.go.com/US/survive-bear-attack/story?id=23317682
- National Ocean Service. "What is a rip current?" (July 13, 2014) http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ripcurrent.html
- National Park Service. "Black Bears." (July 13, 2014) http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm
- National Weather Service. "What to Do in an Emergency." (July 13, 2014) http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/all-haz/what_to_do.htm
- Popular Mechanics. "Worst-Case Scenarios: How to Survive a Riptide." Dec. 7, 2004. (July 13, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/1289281
- Precision Risk Management. "Survive an Active Shooter!" Sept. 26, 2013. (July 14, 2014) http://prmgsecurity.com/active-shooter-prevention/survive-an-active-shooter/
- Robinson, Theodore. "What is 'resisting arrest'?" Avvo.com. (July 13, 2014) http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-resisting-arrest
- Smith, Haley. "In face of vicious dog attack, don't run or scream, vet advises." KSL.com. Feb. 14, 2014. (July 13, 2014) http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=28716009
- Spector, Dina. "What to Do if You Are Attacked by a Pack of Wolves." Business Insider. June 28, 2012. (July 13, 2014) http://www.businessinsider.com/what-to-do-if-you-are-attacked-by-a-pack-of-wolves-2012-6#ixzz376ZYueKB
- Tamayo, Niky. "How to Survive an earthquake while you're inside your vehicle." Top Gear. July 7, 2014. (July 13, 2014) http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/tip-sheet/how-to-survive-an-earthquake-while-you-re-inside-your-vehicle
- Terry-Cobo, Sarah. "Experts: don't try to outrun a tornado." The Journal Record. June 4, 2013. (July 13, 2014) http://journalrecord.com/2013/06/04/dont-try-to-outrun-a-tornado-experts-say-staying-put-is-best-policy-general-news/#ixzz376SPdDQU
- University of Delaware. "Building a Crisis Plan Together." (July 13, 2014) http://www.udel.edu/emergency/whattodo.html
You need to treat a bat bite, but don't know how to do it. Learn about how to treat a bat bite in this article.