On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, Genelle Guzman-McMillan was at work in her office on the 64th floor of the World Trade Center's North Tower, when the building was struck by American Airlines Flight 11 [sources: CNN, Otis]. As Guzman-McMillan later recalled in a newspaper interview, at first there wasn't any smoke or fire. The company she worked for told her to stay put and wait for help but after an hour she decided to head to the stairwell.
When she descended to the 13th floor, Guzman-McMillan bent over to take off her shoe, and then suddenly, a wall collapsed on her. Her feet were pinned, with her head trapped between two pieces of concrete. The only thing she could move was her left hand. She opened her eyes, but everything around her was black. Time seemed to stand still, and she remembers praying for a respite from the pain. After 27 hours, she heard a voice of a man named Paul telling her to remain calm, that rescuers were on the way [source: Otis]. Guzman-McMillan had been spotted by one of the 300 search-and-rescue dogs deployed after the disaster. She was the final living person rescued from the wreckage [source: Marcus].
Guzman-McMillan tried to find "Paul" afterward to thank him, but no one knew who he was.
Author's Note: 10 People Who Survived the Impossible
I've long been fascinated with the adventures of people who survived extreme hardships and escaped from difficult situations, ever since I saw the movie "The Great Escape" as a child. In high school, I remember reading "Papillion," the supposedly true tale of Henry Charrière, a wrongly-convicted Frenchman who escaped from Devil's Island, and found it utterly compelling — even though the author was later accused of having fabricated his saga.
More Great Links
- Adams, John B. "Slavomir Rawicz." Guardian. May 4, 2004. (June 7, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/may/05/guardianobituaries
- Associated Press. "Andes plane crash survivors mark 40th anniversary with rugby game." Guardian. Oct. 14, 2012. (June 7, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/14/andes-plane-crash-survivors-rugby
- Benoist, Michael. "Climber Who Cut Off Hand Looks Back." National Geographic Adventure. Aug. 30, 2004. (June 7, 2015) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/08/0830_040830_aronralston.html
- Berkow, Ira. "Louis Zamperini, Olympian and 'Unbroken' War Survivor, Dies at 97." The New York Times. July 3, 2014. (June 8, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/04/arts/louis-zamperini-olympian-war-survivor-unbroken-dies.html?_r=0
- Bilefsky, Dan. "Serbia's Most Famous Survivor Fears That Recent History Will Repeat Itself." The New York Times. April 26. 2008. (June 7, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/world/europe/26vulovic.html?_r=3&
- BBC News. "On This Day: 1972: Survivors Found 10 Weeks After Plane Crash." BBC News. Dec. 22, 2012. (June 8, 2015) http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/22/newsid_3717000/3717502.stm
- BBC News. "Skier Revived from Clinical Death." BBC News. Jan. 28, 2000. (June 7, 2015) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/620609.stm
- CBS News Staff. "Frozen Woman: A 'Walking Miracle.'" Cbsnews.com. Feb. 3, 2000. (June 7, 2015) http://www.cbsnews.com/news/frozen-woman-a-walking-miracle/
- Chin, Henk E. "Suriname." Britannica.com. (June 8, 2015) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/575240/Suriname
- CNN. "Sept. 11: Chronology of Terror." Cnn.com. Sept. 12, 2001. (June 8, 2015) http://edition.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/chronology.attack/
- Connolly, Kate. "Woman who fell to earth: was air crash survivor's record just propaganda?" Guardian. Jan. 13, 2009. (June 7, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/13/flight-attendant-record-fall-hoax
- Cox, David. "Between life and death – the power of therapeutic hypothermia." The Guardian. Dec. 10, 2013 (June 9, 2015). http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/dec/10/life-death-therapeutic-hypothermia-anna-bagenholm
- Guinness World Records. "Highest Fall Survived Without a Parachute." Guinnessworldrecords.com. (June 7, 2015) http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/highest-fall-survived-without-parachute/
- Hamblin, Dora Jane and Jarvis, Wilbur. "Girl Behind a Frozen Scream." Life magazine. April 12, 1963. (June 7, 2015) http://bit.ly/1eWPNA7
- Harris, Alisha. "How Accurate Is Unbroken?" Slate. Dec. 24, 2014. (June 10, 2015) http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/24/unbroken_movie_fact_vs_fiction_how_accurate_is_the_louis_zamperini_biopic.html
- Henao, Luis Andres. "Andes survivors mark 40th anniversary of crash." Associated Press. Oct. 14, 2012. (June 8, 2015) http://news.yahoo.com/andes-survivors-mark-40th-anniversary-crash-053941345.html
- Lau, Gilbert, et al. "Fatal falls from a height: The use of mathematical models to estimate the height of fall from the injuries sustained." Forensic Science International. April 22, 1998. (June 7, 2015) http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0379-0738(98)00027-9/abstract?cc=y=
- Leith, Henrietta. "Whatever Happened to Helen Klaben and Ralph Flores?" Toledo Blade. Dec. 14, 1969. (June 7, 2015) http://bit.ly/1BT2PUo
- Levinson, Hugh. "How The Long Walk became The Way Back." BBC News. Dec. 4, 2010. (June 7, 2015) http://www.bbc.com/news/world-11900920
- Levinson, Hugh. "Walking the Talk?" BBC News. Oct. 30, 2006. (June 10, 2015) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6098218.stm
- Marcus, Lilit. "9/11 'hero dog' saved woman trapped in rubble for 27 hours." Today.com. Sept. 10, 2013. (June 7, 2015) http://www.today.com/pets/9-11-hero-dog-saved-woman-trapped-rubble-27-hours-8C11125763
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Hypothermia: Definition." Mayoclinic.org. (June 7, 2015) http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/basics/definition/con-20020453
- McCunn, Ruthanne Lum. "Sole Survivor." Design Enterprises of SF. 2013. (June 8, 2015) http://bit.ly/1MBCSPq
- Otis, Ginger Adams. "Miracle Tale from the Towers: Genelle Guzman-McMillan." New York Post. Sept. 11, 2011. (June 8, 2015) http://nypost.com/2011/09/11/miracle-tale-from-the-towers-genelle-guzman-mcmillan/
- Prosperi, Mauro. "How I drank urine and bat blood to survive." BBC News. Nov. 27, 2014. (June 7, 2015) http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30046426
- Ralston, Aron. "Trapped." Outside. Sept. 1, 2004. (June 7, 2015) http://www.outsideonline.com/1927626/trapped
- South Bend Tribune. "Late LaPorte teacher featured in 'Unbroken' movie." Southbendtribune.com. Dec. 28, 2014. (June 8, 2015) http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/late-laporte-teacher-featured-in-unbroken-movie/article_423072c2-ed7a-5b09-a4ae-88486d9aca3a.html
- Squires, Nick. "Greeks 'discover Odysseus' palace in Ithaca, proving Homer's hero was real." Telegraph. Aug. 24, 2010. (June 8, 2015) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/7962445/Greeks-discover-Odysseus-palace-in-Ithaca-proving-Homers-hero-was-real.html
- Wise, James Jr. "Sole Survivors of the Sea." Naval Institute Press. 2013. (June 8, 2015) http://bit.ly/1QF35wW
Some people think artificial intelligence will overtake humanity. Find out what other future disasters could cause dramatic change at HowStuffWorks.