The Great Blue Hole, Belize
You may have heard of a sinkhole on a piece of land, but what about one in the middle of the sea? Here's a landmark that recreational divers have visited since the 1970s. The Great Blue Hole is a giant sinkhole located off the coast of Belize. It's part of a barrier reef known as the Lighthouse Reef Atoll in the Caribbean Sea. Looking down at the Great Blue Hole from an airplane, you'll see a dark blue circle measuring 1,000 feet (300 meters) wide surrounded by light blue, more shallow water and a reef.
A boat will take you to this sought-after dive site. Since the Hole is 400 feet (125 meters) deep, you'll need to prepare well in advance and get your scuba diving certification before exploring the caves and stalactite formations at the bottom. It's a heart-pumping and exhilarating experience that's not for the faint of heart, but its beauty is worth the effort.
As you can see, a fit body is about more than looking good and increasing your longevity -- it's about having the ability to visit some of the most amazing places on the Earth. For lots more information about fitness and famous landmarks, turn to the next page.
- De Bruxelles, Simon. "British pair first to walk all of China's Great Wall." The Sunday Times. May 17, 2007. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1800817.ece
- Dunn, Jimmy. "Tours to the Pyramids of Egypt." Tour Egypt. 2010. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pyramidtours.htm
- Harris, Hannah. "How Climbing Mount Everest Works" HowStuffWorks.com. May 25, 2006. (Oct. 7, 2010).https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/climbing/mount-everest.htm
- Jernigan, Meg. "About the North Pole." USA Today. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://traveltips.usatoday.com/north-pole-12655.html
- Shinn, Gene. "The Great Blue Hole of Belize." June, 2001. (Oct. 7, 2010.)http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2001/06/
- The Editors of Mobil Travel Guide. "Family Vacations in Colorado" HowStuffWorks.com. May 7, 2007. (Oct. 7, 2010).https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/family-vacations-in-colorado.htm
- Japan Guide. "Climbing Mount Fuji." 2010. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
- NASA. Great Blue Hole, Belize." April 2, 2009. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=37741
- National Geographic Society. "Egypt: Secrets of an Ancient World: Great Pyramid." 2010. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyramids/khufu.html
- National Park Service. "Appalachian Natural Scenic Trail." Feb. 19, 2010. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.nps.gov/appa/
- North Pole Adventures. (Oct 7, 2010).http://www.northpole.ru/eng/pole2000.htm
- Ultimate Kilimanjaro. "How many days are needed to climb Kilimanjaro." 2010. (Oct. 7, 2010).http://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com/days.htm
The Statue of Liberty was given to the U.S. by France to symbolize freedom. HowStuffWorks breaks down some fun facts about this symbolic statue.