Make a Personal Travel Documentary
No matter what kind of trip you choose to take, thoroughly documenting it is a way to make your vacation into art or narrative, to preserve it forever, and to share the experience with the world. Technology and dissemination have democratized to the point where you can videotape the highlights of your trip (with a camera phone or an HD video camera), edit them down to short vignettes of an hour or two on your laptop, and then post it on a blog or your social networking platforms. You could even supplement that with thoughts about what you learned or noticed, along with still photographs for a full digital scrapbook package to share with your friends or interested parties what you've seen and experienced.
- Allison, Don. "26 Miles in Athens: Running the Marathon the Greek Way." Cool Running. 6 August 2004. (22 June 2012) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/26-miles-in-athens-runnin.shtml
- Ericsson, Hans. "All About the Alps: Ski Vacations in Europe." Auto Europe. 2012. (22 June 2012)
- Ion, Alex. "10 of the World's Best Surf Spots." HotelClub.com. 18 July 2008. (22 June 2012) http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/10-of-the-worlds-best-surf-spots/
- Krawiecki, Jim. "10 top sea kayaking destinations." The Guardian. 1 July 2008. (22 June 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/jul/01/canoeingandkayaking.europe
- Lamb, David. "How to Craft Your Own Overseas Bike Tour." Washington Post. 20 September 2009. (22 June 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/18/AR2009091801790.html
- Macken, Deirdre. "NZ, land of the brave." Financial Review. 7 June 2012. (22 June 2012) http://afr.com/p/lifestyle/life_leisure/nz_land_of_the_brave_lmt1MHDXFRVyu6rPltc65M
- Mark. Heather. "Vacation Theme Ideas." USA Today. 2012. (22 June 2012) http://traveltips.usatoday.com/vacation-theme-ideas-14620.html
- New Zealand Alpine Club. "Climbing Overseas" 2012. (22 June 2012) http://alpineclub.org.nz/climb/overseas
- Off Track Planet. "10 Best Places to Scuba Dive Around the World." 7 April 2011. (22 June 2012) http://offtrackplanet.com/inspiration/10-best-places-to-scuba-dive-around-the-world/
- Powderhounds.com. "Checklist of Things to Pack on a Ski or Snowboard Holiday or Vacation." 2012. (22 June 2012) http://www.powderhounds.com/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/TrailMaps/things_to_pack.pdf
- Sutherland, Hannah. "Personal documentaries capture memories, values." Peace Arch News. 11 February 2011. (22 June 2012) http://www.peacearchnews.com/community/116864668.html
It sometimes seems that, with Google maps and GPS, there couldn't possibly be an unturned stone anywhere on the planet, but that's far from true.