If meat and wine are your two favorite staples, consider taking a trip to Argentina. Argentinian beef is considered some of the best in the world. Because Argentine cattle is grass fed rather than grain fed like the majority of American cattle, the meat has a better flavor and is even more easily digested. And beef is usually charcoal grilled, on a parilla. Other parts of the animal are also cooked up and enjoyed, like ribs or sausages.
An Italian influence infiltrates many Argentine foods as well -- most notably, pizza. Argentina harvests a large amount of wheat, so you'll find a lot of dough-based dishes. Pizzas tend to be doughier than their Italian counterparts, with a minimal amount of sauce.
- Save or Splurge: 10 Suggestions on What's Worth the Spend When You're on Vacation
- 5 Spring Break Tips for Families
- 5 Fun Southern U.S. Travel Ideas for Families
- 5 Fun West Coast Travel Ideas for Families
- Top 5 Family Travel Tips
- 10 Surprising Foodies
- Top 5 Gourmet Food Gifts That Won't Be Regifted
- 10 Foods We Love to Hate
- 10 Restaurants to Try Before You Die
- "About Catalunya." EatCatalunya.com. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.eatcatalunya.com/catalunya/
- Allen, Daniel. "Fire and Rice: Chowing Down in Chengdu." Beijing Visitor. 2004. (April 4, 2011) http://www.beijing-visitor.com/index.php?cID=440&pID=1793
- "Downtown Boulder Dining." Downtown Boulder. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.boulderdowntown.com/dining
- "Food and Wine Vacations." Orbitz.com. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.orbitz.com/App/PerformMDLPDealsContent?deal_id=food-wine-travel&cnt=OVI
- "The Food of New Orleans." The Institute for New Orleans History and Culture. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.gmc.edu/library/neworleans/NOfood.htm
- "Foods of the Napa Valley." NapaNow.com. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.napanow.com/foods.html
- Kadushin, Rafael. "Top London Restaurants Serving British Cuisine." Epicurious. 2010. (April. 4, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/topfivelondonrestaurants
- Kennelly, Pat. "Tuscan cuisine - perfetto!" ItalianVisits.com. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.italianvisits.com/tuscany/tuscan_cuisine.htm
- "New York Food Tours." Events. New York Food Tours. 2011. (April 4, 2011) http://www.foodtoursofny.com/p/tours.html
- Noll, Daniel. "Argentine Food: Steak, Empanadas, Pizza, Pasta, Repeat." 2010. (April 4, 2010) http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2010/08/argentine-food-steak-empanadas-pizza-pasta/
- "Paris Food." Maps of World. 2009. (April 4, 2011) http://www.mapsofworld.com/cities/france/paris/food.html
- Schwartz, Ariel. "The Eight Best Places on Earth for Foodie Vacations." SFWeekly. Oct. 5, 2009. (April 4, 2011) http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/10/eight_places_on_earth_for_a_f.php
HowStuffWorks looks at why the Taj Mahal is in such poor shape, why it's so hard to repair and how this problem happens in other places like Italy.