"The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy cost almost $300 million to produce and took eight years to complete [source: Brown]. Luckily, the movies were a huge financial and critical success. They drew worldwide attention to New Zealand, the island country in the South Pacific where the trilogy was filmed by resident and native Peter Jackson. "Lord of the Rings" gave New Zealand an opportunity to show off to the world.
Movie tourism tied to Peter Jackson's ambitious projects is now flourishing in New Zealand. Many location tours are designed for the avid fan ready for full immersion in the kingdom of hobbits, elves, wizards and dwarves. One elaborate excursion lasts 12 days and covers breathtaking film locations on two islands. There are also more modest choices that only require a couple of hours.
"Whale Rider" is another movie that brought attention to the New Zealand's stunning beauty and indigenous culture. The surprise 2002 hit movie tells the story of a 12-year-old Maori girl and her family's struggle to accept her ability to lead, despite the tribe's tradition of being guided by men. Guided tours are available in Whangara, the tiny beachside village (population 30) where "Whale Rider" was filmed. One travel agency offers the "Whale Rider Self Drive" [source: Goway]. You get a rental car, an elaborate guidebook and an 11-day itinerary with directions to notable scenes in the movie, accommodations and tickets to Maori concerts and educational presentations.
For more on the movie industry, tourism and other related topics, take a look at the links below.
More Great Links
- Ballard, Michaele. "Spotlight on North Carolina." Movie Maker. Feb. 1, 1997. (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/article/spotlight_on_north_carolina_3168/
- Bilefsky, Dan. "Hollywood on the Danube." The New York Times. July 2, 2010. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/03/business/global/03iht-eastfilms.html
- Boston.com. "Movies hot in the Hub." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.boston.com/business/gallery/bostonmovies/
- BostonMovieTours.com. "Filmology." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.bostonmovietours.net/pages/filmology.htm
- British Columbia Film Commission. "British Columbia Film Commission Production Statistics 2009." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.bcfilmcommission.com/database/rte/files/2009%20Stats%20Package.pdf
- British Columbia Film Commission. "Industry Profile." (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.bcfilmcommission.com/about_us/industry_profile/articles49.php
- Brown, Corie. "New Line Hopes to Grab Brass 'Rings' With 3-Film Gamble." Los Angeles Times. Dec. 4, 2001. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/04/business/fi-11181
- City of Seattle. "Film Map." Office of Film + Music. 2011. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.seattle.gov/filmoffice/filmmap.htm
- Dimond, Anna. "Famous Movie Locations: Houseboat from 'Sleepless in Seattle.'" Moviefone. Sept. 17, 2010. (Oct. 13, 2011) http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/09/07/famous-movie-locations-houseboat-from-sleepless-in-seattle-wa/
- Ecolin. "Wilmington – Where History Meets the Surf." Ideal Living. June 25, 2008. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.ideal-living.com/?p=101
- Epstein, Edward Jay. "Northern Expenditure: Why are so many movies being shot in Canada?" Slate. Feb. 13, 2006 (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.slate.com/id/2136064/
- Filmaps. "Paris." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.filmaps.com/france/paris/
- Forte, Kristin. "Savannah, Georgia Has a History of Mystery." Movie Maker. Oct. 21, 2008. (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.moviemaker.com/locations/article/savannah_georgia_history_of_mystery_20081006/
- Georgia: Georgia's Official Tourism Website. "Savannah Movie Tours." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.exploregeorgia.org/Listing/Overview/401492
- Goway. "New Zealand Self Drive Ideas: Whale Rider Self Drive." 2011. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.goway.com/selfdrive/whalerider.html
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Woody Allen on Faith, Fortune Tellers and New York." The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/movies/15woody.html
- Lewis, Liz. "Movies Filmed in New Zealand." Gifted Travel: Learning Through Travel. July 7, 2009. (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.giftedtravel.com/movies-filmed-in-new-zealand/
- Little, Ken. "2010 looks promising for local film industry." Greater Wilmington Business Journal. Jan. 22, 2010. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/industry_news_details.php?id=1037
- Little, Ken, and Satake, Alison Lee. "New film incentives helpful, almost: Talent cap means focus on TV and smaller-budget films." Greater Wilmington Business Journal. Aug. 20, 2010. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/industry_news_details.php?id=1737
- Modiya. "Holocaust Movie Tourism: Schindler's List tours and travel diaries." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://modiya.nyu.edu/handle/1964/55
- New Zealand Tourism Guide. "Lord of the Rings: New Zealand." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.tourism.net.nz/lord-of-the-rings.html
- PlacesInFrance.com. "'La Vie in Rose' Edith Piaf film tour in Paris." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.placesinfrance.com/edith_piaf_film_tour_in_paris.html
- RakeInTheCache. "Cafe des deux Moulins, 'Amelie'." Waymarking.com. Feb. 23, 2008. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM37P8
- Sacred Destinations.com "Locations in The DaVinci Code."(Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.sacred-destinations.com/sacred-sites/da-vinci-code.htm
- Seattle.gov. Office of Film and Music. "Seattle Film History and Map. (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.seattle.gov/filmoffice/filmmap.htm
- Silverman, Jon. "Polish tourism benefits from Holocaust memories." BBC News. Jan. 9, 2001. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1108509.stm
- Steele, Karen Dorn. "Schindler factory opens as Holocaust memorial." Spokesman-Review. Aug. 15. 2010 (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/aug/15/unlikely-hero/
- Tourism British Columbia. "Entertainment." Super, Natural British Columbia Canada. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsActivitiesEvents/Entertainment/Children/British-Columbia_BritishColumbiaFilm.htm
- TourismVancouver.com. "Filmed in Vancouver: North Hollywood's Movie Industry." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/things_to_do/filmed_in_vancouver
- Verrier, Richard. "Los Angeles location filming falls 19% in 2009 from previous year." Los Angeles Times. Jan. 15, 2010. (Oct. 26, 2011) http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/15/business/la-fi-ct-filmla15-2010jan15
- WoodstockGroundhog.org. "It's Groundhog Days in Woodstock, Ill." (Oct. 13, 2011) http://woodstockgroundhog.org/
Las Vegas alternatives abound for the adventurous traveler. Learn about 10 Las Vegas alternatives that combine gambling with some local flavor.