The home of the 2000 Summer Olympics, Sydney boasts an elaborate mass-transit system. Ride from Sydney Airport via Airport Link to the central Circular Quay station where you are a short walk from numerous hotels and tourist destinations, including the Sydney Opera House. Sydney Pass offers three-, five- and seven-day passes including return transportation to the airport from CityRail stations, harbour sight-seeing cruises, tour bus service, and unlimited city bus, ferry and inner city train services. You'll find the passes at Airport Link, CityRail stations, transit shops, Sydney Ferries ticket offices, kiosks and vending machines, and at selected travel agents [source: Sydney Pass].
Sydney's Light Rail offers frequent service from city center to Darling Harbour, where you'll find restaurants, museums and the Sydney Aquarium, among other tourist spots. Sydney also operates a large bus network, a monorail that runs along a loop through Sydney's central business district, and a fast ferry network with sites all along Sydney Harbour.
For more on mass transit, world travel and other related topics, take a look at the links below.
More Great Links
- Begley, Laura. "Montauk: The Hamptons Without Crowds" Travel+Leisure. September 2008. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/montauk-hamptons-without-crowds/
- City of Sydney. "Public Transport." May 4, 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/PublicTransport.asp
- Fodor's. "Fodor's London 2011." New York: Fodor's. Aug. 24, 2010.
- Fodor's. "Fodor's Moscow and St. Petersburg, 8th Edition." New York: Fodor's. July 1, 2008.
- Fodor's. "Fodor's Tokyo, 2nd Edition." New York: Fodor's. May 1, 2007.
- Fodor's. "Fodor's Toronto 2010: with Niagara Falls & the Niagara Wine Region Publisher." New York: Fodor's. Feb. 2, 2010.
- Frommer, Pauline; Bain, Keith, et al. Pauline Frommer's Italy, 2nd ed. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley. 2008.
- Frommer's. "Frommer's Hong Kong." New York: Wiley. Feb. 24, 2009.
- GO Transit. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/default.aspx
- Hanku Ferry. 2007. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.han9f.co.jp/en/index.html
- Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.mtr.com.hk
- Iida, Mai. "Joint IC fare card for Tokyo trains, buses demonstrated before debut." Kyodo News International, Tokyo. Feb. 18, 2007. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/846273/joint_ic_fare_card_for_tokyo_trains_buses_demonstrated_before/index.html
- Italian Rail. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.italianrail.com/italy_railway_rome.html
- iVenture Card International. 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.seesydneycard.com/
- Jin Lee, Cecilia Hae. "Frommer's South Korea, 2nd edition." New York: Wiley. May 24, 2010.
- Kageyama, Yuri. "Japan commuters find 'smart' way to keep moving." Telegraph Herald (Dubuque, IA). March 2, 2003.
- Keisei Electric Railway. 2010. (Oct. 17, 2011) http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/
- Ko, Kenrick. Manager, Media Relations, Corporate Communications, Octopus Cards Limited. Personal Interview.
- Korea Smart Card Co. "T- Money." 2009. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.t-money.co.kr
- Korea Tourism Organization. "Public Transportation: Subway." (Oct. 19, 2011) http://asiaenglish.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/TR/TR_EN_5_1_4.jsp
- Korea Tourism Organization. "Travel Highlights: New Bus System of Seoul." Aug. 17, 2006. (Oct. 20, 2011) http://asiaenglish.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=309429
- Lurie, Theodora. "Romans embrace long-awaited subway." The Globe and Mail (Canada). March 5, 1980. p. 12.
- Metro Transport Monorail & Light Rail, Sydney, Australia. 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.metromonorail.com.au
- Moscow Metro. (Oct. 18, 2011) http://engl.mosmetro.ru/
- Moscow Train. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.expresstorussia.com/russian_train_tickets.html
- New South Wales Government. "Transport: Sydney Buses." Aug. 26, 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.sydneybuses.info
- New South Wales Government. "Transport: Sydney Ferries." 2010. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.sydneyferries.info
- New South Wales Government. TransportInfo. 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.131500.info/
- New York Ferries. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.nywaterway.com
- The New York Times. "London's Oyster Cards Now Available On Line." In Transit. Nov. 30, 2009. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/londons-oyster-cards-now-available-online/
- Paris Mass Transit. Paris Metro: Metro, Bus, Airport Transportation. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.parismetro.com
- Pucher, John; Park, Hyungyong; Han Kim, Mook; and Song, Jumin. "Public Transport Reforms in Seoul." March 2005. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/pucher/PTI_English.pdf
- Rail Europe. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.raileurope.com
- Rome Transportation. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.rome.info/transportation/
- Viator. Rome Hop On Hop Off Double Decker Bus Tours. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Rome-Hop-on-Hop-off-Double-Decker-Bus-Tour/d511-3523ROMOPEN
- Seoul Stop Over. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.seoulstopover.com/program/citytour.asp?code=W
- Steves, Rick; Smith, Steve; and Openshaw, Gene. Rick Steves' Paris 2010. Berkeley, Calif.: Avalon Travel Publishing. 2009.
- Toronto Transit Commission. "System Quick Facts." 2010. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Operating_Statistics/2009.jsp
- Transport for London.(Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.tfl.gov.uk
- Transport for London. "Getting Around." (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/default.aspx
- Watts, Peter. "London Underground's History." Time Out London. April 17, 2007. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.timeout.com/london/big-smoke/features/2814/London_Underground-s_history.html
Las Vegas alternatives abound for the adventurous traveler. Learn about 10 Las Vegas alternatives that combine gambling with some local flavor.