With a population of just around 70,000 people, Portland residents balance urban hipness with a streak of rugged adventure. With homes in the $200,000 range, this middle-class town allows its residents to live the work-hard/play-hard lifestyle.
To escape the hustle and bustle of urban life, Portlanders head to the beach at Pophman for some rest and relaxation. If you like water sports like canoeing and kayaking, head to Casco Bay to paddle tranquil waters.
Water bodies such as Beaver Pond, Haskell Pond, Highland Lake and Presumpscot River Reservoir, all within a 10 minute drive of Portland, are great spots for canoeing and kayaking. Peak's Island is an ideal place to kick back and relax while enjoying the beautiful Maine landscape. There are numerous places nearby to go whitewater paddling, including the Royal River, Saco River and Crooked River, all about 20 miles (32 km) from downtown Portland. If skiing is your scene, head to Lost Valley, 24 miles (38.6 km) away with slopes dropping 240 feet (73 m), or Shawnee Park, 35 miles (56.3 km) away with 1300 feet (396 m) vertical drops.
Nearby Bradbury Mountain offers great spots for mountain biking, hiking, and climbing. For a laid-back afternoon, bike or walk along the trails to check out the lighthouses that dot the coast around Cape Elizabeth. You can take a variety of outdoor courses, ranging from fly-fishing to kayaking, at L.L. Bean Discovery School to beef up your skills.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Visit Boone, N.C. http://www.visitboonenc.com/
- City of Bend. http://www.ci.bend.or.us
- Colorado Mountain Vacations: Durango, Colorado. http://www.durango.org/
- Colorado Trail. http://www.coloradotrail.org
- Durango Mountain Bike Camp. http://www.bike-camp.com
- Durango River Trippers. http://www.durangorivertrippers.com
- Ely, Minnesota. http://www.elyminnesota.com
- Ely, Minnesota. http://www.ely.org/
- Farley, David. "Cold War Legacy: Peaceful Hiking in Bohemia." New York Times. July 6, 2008.http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/travel/06explorer.html?scp=3&sq=bohemia&st=cse
- Hiker Central: Portland-South Portland.http://www.hikercentral.com/metros/38860.html
- "Places to Live and Play: Outdoor Meccas" National Geographic Adventure.http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/relocating/where-to-live-and-play.html
- Portland, Maine. http://www.portlandmaine.com/
- Mount Washington Observatory. http://www.mountwashington.org/
- North Carolina's High Country: Boone, N.C. http://www.highcountryhost.com
- Rock Creek Park. http://www.nps.gov/rocr
- Shenandoah State Park. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/and.shtml
- SouthWest Adventure Guides. http://www.mtnguide.net
- Ten Great Towns for the Great Outdoors.http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2007-08-09-10-great_N.htm
- Washington: Outdoor Activities.http://www.washington.org/visiting/experience-dc/family/outdoor-activities
- Wildman, Sarah. Spain's Wild Coast. New York Times. August 17, 2008.http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/travel/17costa.html?pagewanted=2&em
- Yaeger, Michael. "Hiking the Czech Greenways, Unspoiled villages of Southern Bohemia await you." http://www.travelsinparadise.com/travelarticle/czech-greenways.html
Las Vegas alternatives abound for the adventurous traveler. Learn about 10 Las Vegas alternatives that combine gambling with some local flavor.