I once wrote an article about Major Taylor, one of the premier bicycle racers during the biking craze of the 1890s (and incidentally, one of the first African-American sports champions). What impressed me was the sense of excitement that bicycles generated in that era. How much better to have a bicycle than a horse, which you had to feed and stable. What a sense of speed and independence the owner of a bike felt.
Over the next few decades, the arrival of affordable automobiles quickly doused that enthusiasm. We gained a great deal, but we lost a lot too. I've done enough biking to know how much appreciation you develop for landscapes, for small towns, for the sights and sounds and smells that you pass. I haven't done much long-distance touring, but researching this article has definitely sparked my interest.
- AASHTO Journal. "Adventure Cycling Association Raises $50,000 for U.S. Bicycle Route System," June 22, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.aashtojournal.org/Pages/062212bikeroute.aspx
- Adventurecycling.org. "About Our Routes & Maps." (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/maps.cfm
- Adventurecycling.org. "Adventure Cycling Route Network." (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/network.cfm
- Adventurecycling.org. "Adventure Cyclist Magazine." (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/mag/index.cfm
- Adventurecycling.org. "Bike Touring 101." (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/biketouring101.cfm
- Adventurecycling.org. "Cyclists' Yellow Pages Online" (June 29, 2012) http://cyp.adventurecycling.org:8080/4dcgi/index.a4d?action=cyp.online
- Adventurecycling.org. "Companions Wanted." (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/mag/companions.cfm
- Bateman, Winona. Media Director, Adventure Cycling Association. Personal interview, June 28, 2012
- D'Ambrosio, Dan. "Our History," adventurecycling.org. (June 29, 2012) http://www.adventurecycling.org/whoweare/historylong.cfm
- Zheutlin, Peter. "Annie Londonderry." (June 29, 2012) http://www.annielondonderry.com/learn.html