Before I began my research for this article, I was definitely one of those people who thought that only scientists and really outdoorsy folks went on safaris. I couldn't have been more wrong! From honeymooners to big families, there's definitely a safari out there for all interests and logistical requirements. Also, until now, most of my knowledge of Africa was related to politics and human rights, so I was really excited to learn about the wildlife and how people are getting more involved in conservation and culture. Some of my favorite facts came from a Condé Nast Traveler compilation of experts' recommendations on what to pack -- who knew that flip-flops and chocolate were safari essentials? I hope this article broadens a few horizons just like it broadened mine!
More Great Links
- Brantlinger, Patrick. "Victorians and Africans: The Genealogy of the Myth of the Dark Continent." The University of Chicago Press. 1985.
- Clark, Colleen. "The African Safari, Reinvented." National Geographic Traveler. July 2010. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/countries/african-safari-traveler/
- Collins English Dictionary. "Safari." (June 16, 2012) http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/safari
- Frommer's. "Planning a Trip." (June 19, 2012) http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kenya/3861010002.html
- Go2Africa. "African Travel Destinations." (June 18, 2012) http://www.go2africa.com/african-safari-guide/african-safari-guide/travel-destinations
- Hack, Susan. "What the Experts Pack for an African Safari." Condé Nast Traveler. (June 19, 2012) http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/04/what-to-pack-for-a-safari
- Harrison, Julian. "Fodor's African Safari." Fodors, LLC. 2004.
- Herne, Brian. "White Hunters." Henry Hold and Company, LLC. 1999.
- The International Ecotourism Society. "What is Ecotourism?" (July 2, 2012) http://www.ecotourism.org/what-is-ecotourism
- Lonely Planet. "Health & Safety." (June 18, 2012) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/africa/practical-information/health
- Lonely Planet. "Money & Costs." (June 18, 2012) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/africa/practical-information/money-costs
- Magical Kenya. "Health Information." (June 18, 2012) http://www.magicalkenya.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=65
- National Geographic. "African Elephant." (June 19, 2012) http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/african-elephant/
- National Geographic. "How Big is Africa?" (June 20, 2012) http://events.nationalgeographic.com/media/files/HowBigisAfricanew.pdf
- Seely, Kim Brown. "Bush Walk with Zambian Guides in Southern Africa." National Geographic. (June 17, 2012) http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/family-trips/zambia-african-safari/
- Serengeti Park. "Animals of the Serengeti." (June 21, 2012) http://www.serengeti.org/animals.html#g
- Siyabona Africa. "When is the best time to go on safari?" (July 3, 2012) http://www.siyabona.com/kruger-park-safaris-safari-seasons.html
Zambezi Safari and Travel Co. Ltd. "Types of African Safaris." (June 16, 2012) http://www.zambezi.co.uk/safari_primer/safaris.html