Gloria Dei Episcopal Church, the oldest church in Pennsylvania and among the oldest in the country, still rings with the voices of worship after more than 300 years. Although designated a national historic site in 1942, Old Swedes' Church, as it is also known, is owned and maintained by its congregation.
© Mike Dorn
Gloria Dei Episcopal Church is one of the oldest in the U.S.
In 1643, Swedish colonists arriving on the ships Fogel Grip and Kalmar Nyckel settled along the
The first church the Swedish settlers built was a modified log house at
Several years later, the congregation decided to move the church to Wicaco, a Native American name meaning "peaceful place" and what is now known as
Gloria Dei Church National Historic Site Information
Address: 143 S. Third Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Hours of Operation: Gloria Dei is an active religious congregation; please call before visiting
Learn more about these other national historic sites:
- National Monuments: Learn about
’s national monuments, memorials, and historic sites. America
- National Memorials: Discover national memorials in the
- National Historic Sites: Read about American national historic sites.
- Philadelphia City Guide: Find out where to stay, what to do, and where to eat when you visit Philadelphia.
- Pennsylvania State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in Pennsylvania as well as other recreational activities.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Eric Peterson is a Denver-based freelance writer who has contributed to numerous guidebooks about the