Drones can be used for search and rescue, but there's a lot more that we could do with drones to save lives. Learn more about drone search and rescue.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How to Survive a Shipwreck
- How to Build a Shelter
- How to Find Water
- How to Start a Fire Without a Match
- How to Survive a Plane Crash
- How to Survive the Freezing Cold
- Harrowing Survival Stories
- Taken by the Sea: 11 Real-life Shipwrecks
- How Water Works
- What causes heat stroke?
- What if my scuba diving equipment failed?
- How do stingrays kill?
- What if I were ice fishing and fell through the ice?
- How Search and Rescue Works
- How Cruise Ships Work
- How Sailing Works
More Great Links
- "Coping with Man Overboard Situation." sailingandboating.com. 2008. http://www.sailingandboating.co.uk/Coping-with-man-overboard-.html
- "Crew Overboard." boatingbasicsonline.com. 2008. http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/8_3.php
- "Cruise and Ferry Passengers and Crew Overboard 1995 - 2008." cruisejunkie.com. 2008.http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html
- "Kerry Introduces Legislation to Protect Passengers on Cruise Ships." senate.gov. June 26, 2008.http://kerry.senate.gov/cfm/record.cfm?id=299847
- "Man Overboard!" freemarine.com. 2008.http://www.free-marine.com/i2overboard.htm
- "Man Overboard: Cutter Jarvis crew conducts survival training in Kodiak." piersystem.com. Jan. 26, 2005. http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/780/61192/
- "Man-Overboard." sailtexas.com. 2008. http://www.sailtexas.com/ManOverboard.html
- "Water Related Personal Survival." scuba-doc.com. 2008.http://www.scuba-doc.com/overbrd.htm
- Bathhurst, Bella. "Man Overboard." lostmag.com. June 2006. http://www.lostmag.com/issue7/overboard.php
- Boshier, Robert. "Man Overboard: Survivor Stories and Prevention." edst.educ. March 2002.http://www.edst.educ.ubc.ca/rboshier/RBmanoverboard.htm
- Fosha, Rebecca. "How To Survive a Cold Night at Sea." navy.mil. June 2003. http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/fathom/issues/AprJun03/howtosurvive.htm