The Calgary Stampede in Alberta is Canada's largest annual event. It's also the world's richest rodeo, awarding one million dollars in prize money to the winners of such daring competitions as bareback and bull riding, barrel racing, steer wrestling, roping, and chuck wagon racing. The event draws rodeo champions from all over the world.
During Stampede Week, everyone in the city of Calgary gets into the rodeo mood: Storefronts are decorated in a Western theme, and Calgary residents swap their regular clothes for boots, jeans, and ten-gallon hats. Most of the events take place in Stampede Park, a fairground that was specially built to accommodate the Stampede. Some of the attractions you'll find there are an amusement park, a petting zoo, a number of livestock barns, and musical entertainment on multiple stages. A Kid's Midway features rides and rodeo events for children ages 4 through 12.
But the main attractions are the rodeo events. Some of the best riders compete during Stampede Week. The world-famous Chuck Wagon Race is exactly that -- a race of old-fashioned wagons pulled by teams of horses thundering around the track. A nightly Grandstand Show features an extravaganza of entertainers.
Calgary Stampede Information
Be sure to visit the Alberta Rocky Mountains, a craggy landscape teeming with natural beauty. On the next page, learn about visiting these majestic mountains at Banff National Park.
Canadian Tourism Commission
Suite 1400, Four Bentall Centre
1055 Dunsmuir St./Box 49230
Vancouver, BC V5P 1L2 Canada
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- Montreal City Guide: Discover Montreal, a city rich with outdoor festivals and activities, dining, architecture, and history.
- Toronto City Guide: Find out why Toronto, home of the CN Tower, is known as Toronto the Good.
- Vancouver City Guide: Learn about Vancouver, a beautiful city nestled between oceans, mountains, and a mighty river.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the United States.