Parks offer big, wide-open spaces perfect for staging a race, obstacle course or other family challenge. Break up into teams for a relay race. Designate age groups for foot or bicycle races. Bring a few simple props and set up your own family field day. Here are some examples:
- Hula-hoops or jump ropes for an endurance challenge
- Eggs and spoons for a balance-testing relay challenge
- Soccer ball for a dribbling challenge
- Plastic cups and water for a balancing-on-the-head race challenge
- Rope for tug-of-war and three-legged race
For high-adventure challenges, look for parks that offer canopy tours, rock climbing or zip-lines.