Lots More Information
Ghost cities may look cool, but they're often deserted due to disaster. Check out 10 eerie abandoned cities you can visit at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Best Street Foods from Around the World
My wife and I lived in Mexico for about six years. Having traveled around the country and sampled much of its diverse and delicious regional cuisines, I was hard-pressed to pick a favorite for this list. My first instinct was to go with tacos, which are the de facto street food of Mexico, filled with grilled steak or sliced from rotating spits of pork for tacos al pastor. But there's something deeply authentic and soul-satisfying about a freshly formed hunk of masa stuffed with cheese and a wild selection of seasonal, local fillings. Quesadillas are only one variation on this theme. Gorditas are masa cakes that are stuffed and then pan fried for a crispy-chewy treat. Huaraches and tlacoyos in Mexico City are bigger and flatter griddle cakes that are covered pizza-style with refried beans, salty cheese and other toppings. Down in Oaxaca, the monstrous tlayudas are huge rounds of flattened masa cooked over smoky fires and topped again with beans, cheese and a side of crunchy chapulines, fried crickets. In the end, I chose quesadillas because they are found at street stands across Mexico and never fail to satisfy. ¡Buen provecho!
- Dodson, Sean. "Street food to die for." The Guardian. Feb. 15, 2008. (April 11, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/feb/16/top100foodbreaks.streetfood
- Ferber, Lawrence. "12 Must-Try Street Foods Around the World." Fodor's Travel. Sept. 12, 2013. (April 11, 2014) http://www.fodors.com/news/12-musttry-street-foods-around-the-world-7119.html
- Haaretz. "Having a ball: The 5 best falafel joints in Tel Aviv." July 12, 2012. (April 11, 2014) http://www.haaretz.com/culture/food-wine/having-a-ball-the-5-best-falafel-joints-in-tel-aviv-1.450715
- Kagan, Sarah. "Around the World in 80 Dishes: Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe, Video and Cooking Tips." Epicurious. (April 11, 2014) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/cuisines/aroundtheworldin80dishes/jamaicajerkchickenrecipe
- Kantor, Jodi. "A History of the Mideast in the Humble Chickpea." The New York Times. July 10, 2002. (April 11, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/10/dining/a-history-of-the-mideast-in-the-humble-chickpea.html
- Kessler, Roman. "The Craze Over Currywurst." The Wall Street Journal. Aug. 27, 2009. (April 11, 2014) http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204884404574364600782551292
- Lebowitz, David. "Where to Get the Best Crepes in Paris." March 23, 2006. (April 11, 2014) http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/03/the-best-crpes/
- Lonely Planet and Johnson, Richard. "The world's best street food." The Guardian. Feb. 24, 2012. (April 11, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/feb/24/worlds-best-street-food-lonely-planet
- Radio Free Europe. "Burek, Bosnia's Favorite Food, Earns World Recognition." May 16, 2013. (April 11, 2014) http://www.rferl.org/media/video/24990080.html
- Stephenson, Kathy. "A broomstick and dough: Making Bosnian pita is a family tradition." The Salt Lake Tribune. Jan. 14, 2013. (April 11, 2014) http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/55043824-223/dough-causevic-oil-pita.html.csp